
You know how I like to jump from one extreem to another. Sionara Korea and your crazy busy and cramped cities. It was fun while it lasted, but now.... we go to a country that to me feels like saying Ahhhh. Most folks here are of European discent (which is actually rare for this area). And these x-europeans are healty and sturdy. One of the lowest infant mortality rates, life expectancy is high. Climate conditions here are temperate, which means always nice. Literacy here is high, very high compared to its neighbors, and the locals proudly rate as the least corrupt country in this area. The political and labor conditions of the country are among the freest on the continent.
Agriculture accounts for over 2/3rds of the total exports here, but they also build fun things like food processing, electrical machinery, transportation equipment, petroleum products, textiles, chemicals and beverages.
Two things they love here... Meat & Soccor. I have to agree those two things are good things.
In fact they hosted the very first ..... wait that will totally give it away, never mind. The stadium here is still world renouned.
Besides Meat (when I say meat I mean gigantic steaks), pasta is part of the national dish. All those Italian immigrants.
And now we get to the beaches. Of coures there are beaches, just under half of the border is coastline, and the beaches there are pristine, large and expensive beach resorts dot most of the coastline. And we all know what you can do at fabulous beaches. But on top of super beaches there are sand dunes, and unique little villiages, some only accessable by jumping in a 4x4 through the dunes. or walking, but really wouldn't you rather 4x4? Did you know that these dunes are refered to as mobile sand dunes, that is, that the sand is blown by the wind and moves around the sandy places so the dunes actually change their position. This is a unique phenomenon, but regrettably, during the military dictatorship iit was decided to plant trees in a massive quantity, and this has produced severe damage because the wind is not allowed to blow freely and carry the sand, so it is thought that the dunes could disappear in the future..
For a unique experience have a stay at a Estancia with the Gauchos. Horseriding, authentic BBQ, and so much more.





Did you know you could SURF the dunes in Brazil!!!
ReplyDeleteBrazil organized and hosted the 1950 FIFA World Cup
here is a pic of A VLS model satellite launch vehicle entirely designed and produced in Brazil.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4e/Alcantara_Base_5.PNG/180px-Alcantara_Base_5.PNG
Hah............. It is Uruguay. Hope I beat Andrew and Jess. I've seen it, from Iguazu Falls. Colonia del Sacremento is an old smugglers port... for Dani :) One of our Rotarians was a missionary there in 1832.... uh 1962
ReplyDeletemustangsally
Ok, I was wrong again.... Uruguay it is
ReplyDeleteThe name Uruguay means river of the colorful birds
Yerba Mate is widely drunk on the streets, but can hardly be ordered in restaurants.
For nature lovers, birdwatchers, and those seeking a respite from the fast-paced world, there are many "estancias" in serene and peaceful environments, surrounded by many species of native and migrating birds, which offer an unique opportunity to reconnect with nature.
There are many more beach houses to rent along the coast than actual hotel rooms. They are plentiful, and outside the high season affordable. During the first two weeks of January it's impossible to find anything, every cottage and hotel room is booked months in advance.
Uruguay
ReplyDelete1. 2nd smallest country in South America
2. excellent public education at no cost up through university.
3. Uruguay's first contact with the Church occurred at the 1940 South American basketball championship game held in Montevideo. One of Argentina's star players, Rolf Larson, served as a missionary for the Church in Argentina, and brought publicity to the Church as a team member.
4. "Uruguay" is a Guaraní word which can be translated as "river of painted birds"
Chile.
ReplyDelete-On Easter Island, there are 887 inventoried statues. "You have gum gum for dum dum?"
ReplyDelete-There was a 40 year span where no rain fell in the Chiles Atacama Desert.
-Selling an item to the customer and not giving a receipt for inventory is considered a crime and is punishable.
Argentina. Hopefully I got it right this time--I'm feeling a bit unsure of myself now. I will post my facts later because I have to go to bed right now.
ReplyDeleteUruguay -
ReplyDelete1 - José Enrique Rodó, is considered Uruguay’s most significant literary figure. His book Ariel (1900), which stresses the importance of upholding spiritual over materialistic values, as well as resisting cultural dominance by Europe and the United States, continues to influence young writers.
2 - Sixty-six percent of Uruguayans are Roman Catholics. Most Uruguayans baptize their children and marry in churches but less than half attend church on a regular basis.
3 - A dense fluvial network covers the country, consisting of four river basins or deltas; the Río de la Plata, the Uruguay River, the Laguna Merín and the Río Negro. The major internal river is the Río Negro ('black river').
4 - And for kicks - My dear brother in-law spent just under 2 years marching around this country
Whoops! Don't feel bad, but I completely forgot about 'tackling the world.' I will do better..my guess-Argentina.
ReplyDeleteArgentina...I think I commented before, but whatever!
ReplyDeleteOk, I made Drew take a look. It's Uruguay. He usually helps me, but he was busy last night. It's not my fault! Even Drew said it was vague and kept thinking it might be Argentina (although he was appalled that I even considered Chile).
ReplyDeleteFrom the mind of Drew:
-You will find mayo tainted with lemon as a main staple of their diet that comes in gallon size bags from the local "almacen"(store).
-Although the government boasts high literacy rates and modernism, raw sewage still runs between stick built homes with tin roofs and dirt floors in many parts of the interior.
-When you walk through the door during the Christmas/New Year season, don't be surprised if you find a whole pig or lamb laid open on the kitchen table. And don't be surprised if it's still there a week later (they just snack on it all week-yummy)
By the way, whenever we do Chile, I'm keeping my facts - those take a long time to look up!
Okay. Uruguay.
ReplyDelete