Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pickles

The Capitol of this country reminds me of pickles…I know I have a word association issue, but I bet after this you will never forget the country nor the capitol. But far from pickles this capitol is known more for the seafood. Here in the capitol the waterfront remains a center of activity from dawn till late at night, a park separates the beach from the road, with banyan trees and benches offering an excellent place to cool down in the shade with a coconut to drink! Fishermen unload all kinds of fish, squid and lobsters on the beach, making this one of the best places to find the freshest seafood.


There have been a lot of changes in the world in the last century regarding country borders and creation, split or new countries. This is one of our newest, actually having the bragging rights of saying it was one of the first sovereign states of the 21st century. Although practically brand new, the culture and traditions of these people go back over 4,000 years. With the first inhabitants arriving from New Guinea, Australia, China and Indochina. Later it was colonized by the Portuguese. So there is much diversity among the people & culture.

Unfortunately, there is still much unrest in the country. Just a few years ago riots broke out and several other countries had to send in military assistance. It began with complaints against their own countries discrimination in the military. Several people died, and the prime minister was forced to resign.


Though not an island country specifically, it is located on and island. And even includes two smaller islands, one which was a perfect mini Alcatraz, and was used by several settlers as a prison, but now is a perfect vacation getaway, if you are looking for quiet and isolation, complete with bamboo cabins.


Smaller and lesser known than say.. Romania, there is a significantly less amount of information about this country, but that does not mean there is less to know. Upon independence this place became one of a very few countries in Asia to be predominantly Roman catholic. Although local animist traditions have a persistent and strong influence on the culture. They even have their own giant statue of Christ.


As I’ve mentioned before I find it fascinating how many countries are tailor made for beach lovers and water sports enthusiast. With all the places to dive in the world, how come everyone isn’t scuba certified? Along with your obvious diving, fishing, and swimming with the dolphins and pilot whales: hiking and trekking is also quite popular. Though as every good diver knows, you should never do both in a 24 hr period.

5 comments:

  1. The Buckeyes guess -- East Timor.

    Predominantly Roman Catholic. Capital city -- Dili.

    ReplyDelete
  2. East Timor or, officially, Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste. I hope I beat Brooke. Cheaters never prosper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. by the by, we found it by way of it being the newest country in the 21st century. I'm truly amazed every time at how little I know about my quaint little world. East Timor? I have never heard of that in my life!
    Timor does slightly resemble a pickle, I agree, but it is also said that "the island of Timor has a shape much similar to that of a crocodile."
    Pickles, crocodiles...I thought it looked like a dinosaur (from the top view).

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Guess is Timor-Leste. My first two thoughts were wong on this one so I just scrolled around south east asia looking for an Island that had more than one country on it that's capitol could remind my dear sister of a pickle and found it. Looked it up - saw that it colonized by the Portuguese and was Christian and I was settled on my answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. East Timor or the Timor Islands? Dili - I can see the association with pickles. We've never heard of Timor.

    ReplyDelete