Sunday, September 13, 2009

Over the river and through the... jungle?

Well I’ve tried to be elusive about the famous stuff before but it’s always guessed right away. So I’ll just say… there are some here. In fact there are so many well known things here, part of me just wants to say… it’s a cool place. Now guess.

But you know me by now; I can’t just keep my mouth closed when I’ve discovered a new place. There is no getting around it, most my clues will give away its general location. The trick .. .I hope… will be for you to guess which country in this area I’m referring to.
This place is breathtakingly beautiful (I know I say that about everywhere, but no one can call me a liar either) There are rainforests, pristine sandy beaches, miles of reefs to snorkel and dive, rivers, caves, ancient temples, and hundreds of historical and cultural sites. The cruise ships are constantly passing through here, but that is so not my thing. I need to be out and about just immersing.

This is a former British Colony, as are most of the countries in this area, but interesting side note, this country goes against the grain and drives on the right side of the road, instead of the British left.


This area housed one of the great Mesoamerican civilizations of ancient times. These people created vibrant commercial centers, monumental religious temples and exquisite art works, they survived from 2000 BC to nearly AD 1500. For you not so good at math.. That’s a long time. This country has some of the oldest archaeological findings of these civilizations settlements. Historians believe that there are three distinct tribes still in existence here. I am fascinated by all the ancient ruins, and the good news is here you can climb all over them, where as Giza… not so much.



Between national parks, wildlife sanctuaries and marine reserves, more than 40% of this country’s area is protected in one form or another, creating a haven for countless creatures of land, sea and sky. I’m not much of a bird watcher but I’ve always wanted to see Toucan Sam, so I’ve got my eyes peeled.



Oh and don’t forget the monkey sanctuary and jaguar reserve.



Now for a random fact. There is a Mennonite community here. I was not expecting that. They and other locals provide Iguana Catch and Release Hunts as ways to give the locals income. They also have wet cave swimming; Swim up an underground river to a waterfall - One word… COOL.

I think they only thing they don’t have here is bobsledding, how neglectful of them.

Ok one last thing, a place to make any diver drool – PS: it has stalactites… underwater.

8 comments:

  1. Jeff and I didn't research it at all, but our guess is Belize. Sorry we didn't participate last week. Our stake was doing a week-long "media fast," so we were offline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Moly. You are getting tougher as we go. At first we were stuck in South America (Guyana, Ecuador, etc). Then we went north a bit and decidedly decided on Guatemala, with the ancient civilizations. We tried to find it with the former British colony clue, but got no where with that.
    After we decided it was Guatemala, I was looking up some of the snorkeling and wildlife info and found some info on Belize that had some very similar pictures to the ones you posted (ok - they were exact). So then we had to backtrack and look up more stuff. Good thing we didn't post too soon!

    Final answer? Belize.

    Good heavens. To be honest, I don't know if I would have found it without Andrew. He was quite excited about the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess is Guatemala. It was my first thought when I saw the photo, but the right side of the road made me put it to paper. Hope this isn't a trick one, cuz if it is . . . I got tricked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always forget about this Sunday night. We even talked -- and no reminder. Hmph. Well, it's Belize.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess Belize.

    I googled Jauar reserve and it was listed and I know it fits the other criteria.... I couldn't remember where the underwater river was.... but I knew it was somewhere around there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belize.

    I googled Honduras and Belize. It said it was formerly called British Honduras. WE HAVE BEEN THERE!!! We visited the Lamonia Temple. Loved the place

    Mustang Sally!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you know that the country of Belize was once called British Honduras?

    Or that:

    Belize is the only English language country in Central and South America?

    Belize is very special!

    Have you guessed our guess yet? . . . . . .

    BELIZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I hope!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok now my answer is Belize. Final Answer. And all of my helpers for this answer would like to know what temple is in the picture - they had a little competition on it and want to know who is right.

    ReplyDelete