Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Tuvalu for the Almighty

Way to go, everyone guessed right, I guess next time I’ll have to make it harder… wa ha ha



"Tuvalu for the Almighty"
Are the words we hold most dear;
For as people or as leaders
Of Tuvalu we all share
In the knowledge that God
Ever rules in heav'n above,
And that we in this land
Are united in His love.
We build on a sure foundation
When we trust in God's great law;
"Tuvalu for the Almighty"
Be our song for evermore!
Continent: Oceania L/L 8°31′S 179°13′E


Located midway between Hawaii & Australia

The name "Tuvalu" has been said to mean “cluster of eight”

Bottlenose Dolphins are the most common dolphin here in Tavalu, there is even a legend of a man who married a dolphin who changed to a woman when she went ashore. Because this country has so few jobs many become crewmen on freighter ships. 12 of the 24 crewmen aboard the ship held captive by pirates last April and released this month were Tuvaluan.

l

Looking at pictures of Tavalu I get images of Robinson Caruso, Captain Bligh, Captain Cook or other early sailors who pull up to crystal clear lagoons to meet the natives. Tuvalu is one of the places on earth that is most vulnerable to the affects of global warming. The threat of sea level rise may bring complete disaster to the Tuvaluans residing on nine extremely low-lying coral atolls.

1 comment:

  1. oh how I would love to go for a Swiss Family Robinson outing!!

    ReplyDelete